Help Regarding Export of Source Material

Hello Radsafers-

Recently I've begun looking in to the export requirements for a small

shipment of Thorium (< 1 g) outside the US to a foreign University. I've

reviewed the export requirements contained in the Export Administration

Regulations (EAR) for Thorium ECCN numbers 0C001 and for Radionuclides

alpha emitting ECCN 1C236 and 1C999g and I've review the general license

for export for source material in 10 CFR 110.22.

I was hoping someone familiar with these two regulation covering

radioactive material exports would be able to answer the following

questions:

1.	Are there any Dept of Commerce (DOC) requirements that would

apply to this shipment or are they entirely administered by the NRC

	a.	Sidebar: Are there any shipments of RAM to which I must

obtain a DOC permit?

2.	Are there any NRC requirements beyond the general license above

that I need to be aware of prior to making this shipment?

3.	Does anyone have a contact or call list for someone in the NRC

that deals with export licenses? I've tried many times unsuccessful to

locate this department at the NRC. A contact name and phone number would

be useful.

Thanks for you help -

Ken

Ken Smith, CHP CLSO

Radiation Safety Officer                       voice: (831) 459-3911

Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S)          cell: (831) 212-3911

University of California                         fax: (831) 459-3209

1156 High St.                                 e-mail: ksmith@ucsc.edu

Santa Cruz, CA 95064                             web: ehs.ucsc.edu

Pager: (831) 281-0206