Re: Bethlehem Steel, Vitkis and comments

For what it is worth, this is part of what I call the

"buy-out" program.  Hospitals do it all the time.

Rather than challenging a claim of injury, it is

cheaper to give the "injured" party a cash settlement.

 One, you avoid going to court and the bad publicity

(the government getting bad publicity?).  Two, you

look like a "good" guy because you have compassion and

settled with the "injured" party.

--- RuthWeiner@AOL.COM wrote:

> I wasn't going to respond, but the bleeding heart

> rhetoric about "compassion" got to me.

> So here is a response that is NOT caring (I am not

> sure about dignified).  NIOSH's dose reconstructions

> are conservative.  The reconstructions consider all

> exposure cumulative, include chest x-rays and other

> diagnostic x-ray, correct for smoking only in the

> case of lung cancer, count basal and squamous cell

> skin cancers as being radiation exposure-induced

> (even though the relationship between these cancers

> and sunlight UV exposure is well understood), and so

> on.  In other words, NIOSH goes to great lengths to

> show exposure.

> If exposure (to uranium oxide and metal) was in

> 1949-1952, with some residual exposure since then,

> how can that reliably be correlated to any disease,

> including most cancers, half a century after the

> exposure?  And in people who if they were 18 in

> 1949, are now 73, and have been exposed to lots of

> carcinogens and various hazards in the intervening

> 55 years?  How about the cohort who had equal or

> greater exposure and don't have any disease that can

> even by extension be correlated to radiation

> exposure?

> The demands for compensation look a lot like just

> demands for money.

> --

> Ruth F. Weiner

> ruthweiner@aol.com

> 505-856-5011

> (o)505-284-8406

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

""A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind and won't change the subject."  Winston Churchill

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com