  From: BLHamrick@AOL.COM

  To: NiagaraNet@AOL.COM ; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu ; RuthWeiner@AOL.COM

  Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 7:27 PM

  Subject: Re: Thank you Ruth Weiner

  In a message dated 3/26/2004 6:15:59 PM Pacific Standard Time, NiagaraNet@AOL.COM writes:

    I suppose to pay these men who made some sacrifice by their very proximity to these sites and materials, even after the fact, in your opinion, is outlandish or somehow wrong. I beg to differ. If this makes me a "bleeding heart," I'm only glad I reside on this side of the compassion fenceline. I sleep at night.

  Technically, I'm a "bleeding heart" on most issues...But, I don't "get" this one.  What was the sacrifice?  If there's no definitive connection between the work and the disease, then how are these people any different than the other half million that die of cancer every year?

  You do realize that the primary preventable factors contributing to cancer and other chronic disease are firsthand smoke, alcohol abuse, poor nutrition, lack of physical activity and also a lack of access to preventive health care (preventing early diagnosis), right?  Perhaps the gabillions we spend on cleaning up every last atom of whatever is the toxin of the day would be better spent on providing universal healthcare.  I would wager we'd save more people in a year than more stringent environmental regulation would save in twenty.

  Barbara