Re: Preventive health care: "Chronic Radiation- "

This is truely astounding.  The population of the U.S.

(270 million) has an exposure of 0.0036 Sv, for a

total of 990,000 person Sv, and we have an cancer rate

of 25%!!!

By control population, do you mean those who live in

Taiwan, or those of the same age who have lived in

similar builings for the same periods of time?  As I

am sure you know, there is a difference.

--- Howard Long <hflong@pacbell.net> wrote:

> Barbara and Radsafers,

> "Is Chronic Radiation an Effective Prophylaxis

> Against Cancer?"  ChenWC, Luan YC et al, J M Phys

> and Surg, Spring 2004 pp6-10, analizes the amazingly

> low (3% vs control pop) cancer incidence among

> 10,000 Taiwan apartment dwellers exposed for 9-20

> years to av 0.4 Sv (4,000 person-Sv).from Co60 in

> construction steel. See  www.aapsonline.org .

> Barbara, "universal health care" is here. I give it.

> Regardless of ability to pay, I give primary care to

> workaholic Mexican restaurant workers, who usually

> pay a small fee to get more than Medicaid supplied.

> If you mean "Universal" to be "Compulsory", beware!.

> Canadians were 70% happy with their system - until

> they had to use it. Now only 20% like it because of

> long waits, impersonal "care", etc. I visited the

> Hernia center in London.  I found that a working man

> cannot afford free NHS care. Why wait 6 mo when for

> $1,900 he can have better care and be back at work

> in 2 weeks?

> In health care as in health physics, over-regulation

> stifles benefit. Patient Power, Cato Inst Washington

> DC details the science proving that self-managed

> care (MSAs or Health Savings Accounts effective Jan

> 1 2004) gives superior and thriftier care. Bush

> pushes MSAs, missile defense, terrorist pre-emption,

> and energy independence (read nuclear). However, the

> inertia of bureaucracy supported by the bigger

> government opposition stifles choices - like the

> uranium ore Cameron and I want under our mattresses.

> Howard Long

=====

""A fanatic is one who cannot change his mind and won't change the subject."  Winston Churchill

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist

e-mail:  crispy_bird@yahoo.com