accident analysis help needed

RADSAFErs,

I am engaged in a little exercise evaluating a hypothetical accident

involving a large cargo aircraft crashing with hazardous material on board.

While DOE often analyzes aircraft crashing into buildings causing releases

from the building, the scenarios, damage characteristics, fuel loadings,

etc. tend to be more tuned to the building impacted and therefore are not

directly comparable.  So far I have not found any analysis that is directly

comparable to the scenario I am looking at.  (I have found articles

reporting results of such evaluations, but they do not have sufficient

detail to understand how they conducted the analysis.)

If anybody is aware of such an analysis, or of information that would be

helpful, I would appreciate it if you could contact me directly.  Some of

the pieces that would be helpful include:

  -  Flight conditions assumed (take-off, landing, inflight, etc.);

  -  Amount of fuel assumed to be onboard;

  -  Size of burn area and length of burn;

  -  Heat content of fuel;

  -  Assumptions about damage ratios, release fractions, and respirable

fractions, etc.

I know that I can get most of this out of references, but when all is said

and done it is still helpful to have something to compare it against.

Thanks,

Doug Minnema, PhD, CHP

<Douglas.Minnema@nnsa.doe.gov>