Limited radiation exposure may actually benefit health

Here's a newspaper article that puts a positive light on radiation.  I

think I've heard of this guy somewhere before....

--Susan Gawarecki

Limited radiation exposure may actually benefit health

By JOHN CAMERON

Gainesville Sun

April 05. 2004 6:01AM

Studies have shown that radiation from nuclear power can actually be good.

he Three Mile Island (TMI) Nuclear power accident in March 1979 is still

remembered. Many people still have a fear of things nuclear. The average

person has never learned that there was no real danger to the public

during the TMI accident.

The important aspect of the TMI accident was that the safety features

worked. The reinforced concrete building kept nearly all the

radioactivity safely inside. The small amount that escaped probably

improved the health of those who got some of it, as you will learn

later. The Chernobyl nuclear accident was much worse because it didn't

have those safety features.

The fear of nuclear radiation is a fear of the unknown. We need to

educate the public that low-level radiation, such as we all get from

nature, is beneficial if we get enough of it. There is good evidence

from government-funded studies that we need more radiation for good health.

It is a shame that most people still believe that even a little

radiation may cause cancer. The government has not told the public that

we need more radiation for good health discovered with over $10 million

of taxpayer's money.

Natural radioactivity in our body hits millions of our cells every

minute, billions of our cells every day and trillions of cells every

year. Our cells are also bombarded by more radiation from external

natural radioactivity in the environment and from cosmic rays.

External radiation can easily be measured with a Geiger counter. When I

fly, my Geiger counter indicates about ten times more radiation than on

the ground.

A government study in 1973 showed that people in our mountain states are

exposed to 300 percent more natural radiation than people in the Gulf

States. However, the cancer death rate in the Gulf States is 25 percent

greater. That is, an increase in radiation does not increase the risk of

cancer.

The average dose from medical x-rays in the United States is much less

than we get from nature, so you can stop worrying about that also. The

results of two radiation studies show that we need more radiation for

good health.

In 1980-1988, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) studied the health of

28,000 U.S. nuclear shipyard workers who had received the largest

radiation doses. Their health was compared to 32,500 shipyard workers

with the same ages and same jobs, but who didn't work on nuclear

propelled ships. The DOE expected to see an increase in cancer among the

nuclear workers. Instead they found a 15 percent decrease. The results

of this important study have yet to be published or told to the public.

The increased radiation apparently stimulated the immune system of the

nuclear workers. The nuclear workers are living about three years longer

than the unexposed workers. I know about the nuclear shipyard worker

study because I was one of eight scientists that supervised the study

from 1980-1988.

The earliest radiation workers were the doctors who used x-rays. The

100-year study of British radiologists (British Journal of Radiology

June 2001) showed that the earliest radiologists (1897-1920) had a 75

percent increase in cancer compared to other English doctors. There is

no doubt that large radiation doses caused the increased cancer.

After 1920 British radiologists were more careful and never again had a

significant excess of cancer compared to other English doctors. That is,

their radiation dose did not exceed the high level that can cause

cancer. This is also known from a 1974 study of the radium dial painters.

Recent English radiologists (1955-1979) have less cancer and are living

over three years longer than other doctors. That is an increase in

longevity that is greater than would occur if all cancer were curable!

This confirms the increase in longevity of the nuclear shipyard workers.

The results of these two studies were the basis of my recent article in

Radiology (October 2003) that increased longevity, not cancer, is the

best measure of health effects of radiation.

Visit the Virtual Radiation Museum at http://www.sciencemuseum.us to

learn more about ionizing radiation. I started it a couple years ago and

it will continue to grow.

John Cameron is a professor emeritus of the University of

Wisconsin-Madison's departments of Medical Physics, Radiology and

Physics, and a visiting professor at the University of Florida's

Department of Radiation Oncology.