Re: mercury

Joseph R. Preisig wrote:

>I hope the

>mercury will be contained in some sort of closed loop system.  Anyone have

>an inkling of the environmental effects of such a system???

I've looked at the design of the target.  Indeed the mercury will

circulate in a closed loop, with sufficient quantity so it can be

physically cooled down.  Once the Spallation Neutron Source goes online,

any maintenance in the target area will be done robotically.  That

mercury will have quite a mix of radionuclides in it, and it will be

hot!   Upon decomissioning of the SNS, the mercury target will be left

in place for about 50 years to let the short half-life isotopes to decay

away.

The community is generally supportive of the SNS.  Members of the LOC's

Citizens' Advisory Panel would like to see plans for handling the

generated radioactive waste and for monitoring of areas of potential

contamination.  There will be some activation products in the soils

beneath the facility, and we would like to ensure that these don't

migrate into groundwater, or at least will be detected if they do.

Building SNS on a karst (cave-forming limestone) ridge was perhaps not

the smartest job of siting a major research facility (stabilizing the

source building into bedrock was "challenging" and required more

concrete than anticipated).  However, there is a great view from the site.

Susan Gawarecki

Executive Director,

Oak Ridge Reservation Local Oversight Committee