AW: News report on the National Geographic Basin MT "USA Zip" article

Jaro,

I received a few days ago what I call the "current issue" for April 2004. I

have subscribed to the US edition. I have not noticed any letter about a

radon mine in it, and the ZIP USA article is mostly about worms. Maybe the

Canadian NG is different from the US edition? The German edition is for

sure.

Nevertheless I can tell you that I do not have bad feelings about the

Nuclear Waste Article. I believe that it was at least a trial for a balanced

view and as a whole provided at least for me interesting information and

pictures. After having been treated with the most hair-rising stories in

Austrian journals and papers this one was a relief. Readers are not

interested in hairsplitting arguments - and I would put many of the then

comments on RADSAFE into this category. I refrained from comments then. My

experience is, if you show people the facilities, the cleanliness of the

storing places, the shining aluminium- or whatever tubes, the well

maintained and newly painted valves etc. etc. then they will understand,

that nuclear energy is not a case for gamblers who put mankind to the eve of

destruction. This is also true for the storage places of intermediate and

low-level waste I visited in Spain and Japan. One of the many campaigns of

Austrian anti-nuclear groups against Czech NPP's was using pictures of

devasted scrap-yards, which they claimed was the interior of the NPP.

Finally, Jaro, I would like to tell you that many months have gone now,

without severe attacks about the Temelin NPP in Austrian news papers.

Best regards,

Franz

.