RE: News Article: Patients, Physicians Unaware of CT Radiation Exposure

I would say that ALARA is not associated with medical

treatment.  The issue is risk (death from head injury)

v. increased risk of cancer (current rate of 25%) in

20 to 50 years.  Efforts have been made in the last

five years or so to reduce CT exposures by adjusting

the output of the units, so a 10 year-old does not

receive the exposure that a 30 year-old does.

I certainly believe that there is little use in

arguing about the LNT.  Your comments are valid and I

agree with them.  Biololgy is not like physics.

Variability is hard to control.

However, in medicine as well as other profession,

judicious use of services should be followed.  Not

everyone who gets hit in the head with a baseball

needs a CT scan.  Unless the person is a multi-million

dollar professional player, where you are more

concerned with an "investment."

There is an effort to record patient exposure

information for evaluating risk from high fluoro

procedures http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/xrayinj.html There

is a "recommendation" by the FDA for each patient to

keep a record their own x-ray exams

http://www.fda.gov/cdrh/consumer/xraybrochure.html#7

but I do not know of anyone who does.

=====