RE: Puzzler: How Does Humidity Affect Counting Efficiency?

Dale and Radsafers,

Yes, it is an interesting fact that humid air is less dense than dry air.

(If the effect were larger we would have "wet air balloons" instead of hot

air balloons!)

But the density of air can have absolutely no effect on liquid scintillation

beta and HPGe gamma counting efficiencies.

I am sticking to my theory that the higher counting efficiencies are due to

changes in the 120 volt a.c. electric power in the lab.

Wes

Wesley R. Van Pelt, PhD, CIH, CHP

Wesley R. Van Pelt Associates, Inc.