Comparisons between x-ray and gamma-source irradiators

Hi all,

Several weeks ago I learned from a Radsafe inquiry that x-ray irradiators do have significant benefits in comparison to their gamma-source counterparts.  I’ve also discovered that, when disposal and maintenance costs are factored, x-ray irradiators can have a lower cost-per-blood bag than their gamma-source counterparts as well.  However, to confirm whether or not x-ray devices do in fact have a lower cost-per-blood bag than gamma-source irradiators, I need to know the general purchasing prices for both.   Would anyone know what the general purchasing prices are for devices like a Gammacell 1000 Elite Model A and a Radgil x-ray irradiator?  Additionally, I’m aware that some equation or method exists to compare the irradiation times between gamma-source and x-ray irradiators.  From what I understand, current x-ray irradiation technology is a bit slower, or is a bit less energetic, than that of gamma-source technology.  Could someone enlighten me as to the equation or method t

!

 ha!

 allows one to compare (and compute) gamma and x-ray irradiation times?

Furthermore, I am under the impression that throughput is not a primary concern for some mid-sized blood banks (or smaller) when they consider purchasing an irradiator.  Factors such as price, maintenance and disposal costs, and training costs (i.e. those which are spent updating RSOs on state or NRC regulations) are often weighed as more costly and cumbersome than the ostensibly slower throughput associated with x-ray devices.  These factors may then lead a blood irradiation facility to consider purchasing an x-ray device, because its costs would be less than those of a gamma-source irradiator.  Is this assertion accurate?

Thank you all for your time.  I appreciate the assistance.

Sincerely,

Ned Naylor