Re: An HP Position is Open in Texas [License Reviewer, IndustrialLicensing P...

As a taxpayer in the State of Texas and of the U.S. I am delighted to see

federal and state positions unfilled. If no one takes the position, if we are

lucky, the position will be eliminated.

If agencies started functioning like industry, and cut and hired as needed,

that would be an incentive to periodically clear out the dead wood and get real

workers into regulatory positions. Under the current system a person gets

hired, stays for 20 years, retires, takes his pension, and then gets hired back

at the same agency at less pay.

In todays world there are few real safety issues involved with radiation

safety. Regulators now spend most of their time nit picking over paper work and

minor regulatory issues.

There seems to be minmimal justification to hire high priced and qualified

personnel for these positions. Until the agency can convince the legislature of

such a need and continues to hire retirees from the department back at reduced

salaries, pay scales will remain at low levels.

We get exactly the value we pay for.

Bob Gallagher