Re: Cosmic Radiation

The following show may also be of interest.

--- NOVA <owner-nova-online@franz.wgbh.org> wrote:

Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 11:37:24 -0400

From: owner-nova-online@franz.wgbh.org (NOVA)

To: nova-online@franz.wgbh.org (NOVA Bulletin)

Subject: [NOVA] "Death Star"

Next on NOVA: "Death Star"

http://www.pbs.org/nova/gamma/

Broadcast: June 1, 2004

(NOVA airs Tuesday on PBS at 8 p.m. Check your local

listings.)

In 1967, a United States satellite network intended to

monitor Soviet compliance with the Nuclear Test Ban

Treaty detected unusual signals coming from outer

space. Defying astronomers' expectations, these turned

out to be unimaginably violent bursts of gamma-ray

radiation located at the far edges of the known

universe. The titanic explosions are so far back in

time that they conceal clues to the birth of the very

first stars and black holes, back when the cosmos had

barely begun. "Death Star" is an intimate detective

story of the quest by leading astronomers to solve the

riddle of the gamma-ray bursts -- the most energetic

events ever detected and brighter than a billion

billion suns.

Here's what you'll find online:

     One Astronomer's Universe

     What's it like to think cosmological thoughts all

day? How does one get one's mind around such concepts

as black holes or billions of light-years? Where do

the greatest satisfactions lie for one in this field?

Here, Dutch astrophysicist Paul Groot offers his

reasons for pondering the imponderable.

     A Bad Day in the Milky Way

     Astrophysicist Jerry Bonnell of NASA's Goddard

Space Flight Center describes what could happen to our

planet if a gamma-ray burst occurred nearby in our own

galaxy. You don't want to know.

     Catalogue of the Cosmos

     Gamma-ray bursts are just one of myriad marvels

in the heavens. In this celestial glossary, learn the

difference between pulsars and quasars, antimatter and

dark matter, brown dwarfs and white dwarfs, and many

other extraterrestrial wonders.

     Tour the Spectrum (Hot Science)

     Radio waves, microwaves, infrared waves, visible

light, X-rays, and gamma rays are all part of the

electromagnetic spectrum.  Get a comprehensive view of

all the rays and waves in this self-guided tour.

     Also, Links & Books, a Teacher's Guide, and the

program transcript.

http://www.pbs.org/nova/gamma/

--- "Vijay S. R. Degalahal"

<vijaysai_on_net@YAHOO.COM> wrote:

> There a excellend paper by Ziegler in an early 70's

> or 80's edition of Science on terrestial cosmic

> radiation.

> -Vj

> Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for

25¢

=====

"We cannot escape danger, or the fear of danger, by crawling into bed and pulling the covers over our heads."

-- Franklin Delano Roosevelt

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist