Radiation Resistant Bacteria

Dear all;

This was tossed on my desk this morning.  Thought I'd pass it along.

LA Times:  Saturday, 29 May 2004

NEW BACTERIA SPECIES FOUND AT NUCLEAR SITE

"Scientists have discovered more than 100 species of bacteria living in the toxic sediment beneath underground tanks that have leaked radioactive waste at the Hanford nuclear reservation in Washington, home to some of the most highly contamianted soil in the world.

The high levels of radiation in the soil would kill most micro-organisms.  Proteins from the bacteria were very different from those in scientific databases, researchers said, indicating that this class of organisms had received very little study."

Jim Barnes, CHP

james.g.barnes@att.net