US EPA docket OW-2003-0070 - Office of Water radiochemical methodsproposed notice - June 7 deadline

The deadline to submit comments to US EPA docket OW-2003-0070 is June 7

(Monday).

40 CFR Part 122, et al.

Guidelines Establishing Test Procedures for the Analysis of Pollutants

Under the Clean Water Act;

National Primary Drinking Water Regulations; and

National Secondary Drinking Water Regulations;

Analysis and Sampling Procedures;

Proposed Rule

In the end my own review of this notice and its supporting docket materials

elicited 5 pages of comments which have been submitted to the EPA EDOCKET

system (http://cascade.epa.gov/RightSite/dk_public_home.htm).

A portion of my input is opposition to a new method, "Determination of

Radium-226 and Radium-228 in Drinking Water by Gamma-ray Spectrometry Using

HPGe or Ge(Li) Detectors", and many other methods that don't provide for

reporting in metric units, i.e. Bq.  As well I'm critical of the EPA Office

of Water in adhering to the spirit of the National Technology Transfer Act

in providing feedback to voluntary consensus standards organizations on

what methods were not included in the notice and their justification.

To facilitate others making input on this EPA Federal Register notice I'm

making available specific links (Adobe PDF) to the specific items in the

docket relevant to the notice itself and proposed radiochemical

methods.  Information on how to submit comments (web page, e-mail, US mail,

etc.) are in the first item below.

OW-2003-0070-0001

Guidelines Establishing Test Procedures for the Analysis of Pollutants

Under the Clean Water Act; National Primary Drinking Water Regulations; and

National Secondary Drinking Water Regulations; Analysis and Sampling Procedures

http://www.nnsa.net/EPA-OW-2003-0070/EPA-OW-2003-0070-0001.pdf (0.5 Mb)

OW-2003-0070-0002

Factsheet: Guidelines Establishing Test Procedures for the Analysis of

Pollutants Under the Clean Water Act; National Primary Drinking Water

Regulations; and National Secondary Drinking Water Regulations

http://www.nnsa.net/EPA-OW-2003-0070/EPA-OW-2003-0070-0002.pdf

OW-2003-0070-0087

Method for the Determination of Radium-228 and Radium-226 in Drinking Water

by Gamma-ray Spectrometry Using HPGE or Ge(Li) Detectors

http://www.nnsa.net/EPA-OW-2003-0070/EPA-OW-2003-0070-0087.pdf (1.8 Mb)

OW-2003-0070-0088

Radiochemistry Alternative Test Procedure (ATP) Validation Study Report:

The Results of a Validation Study for a Method to Determine the Radium 226

and Radium 228 Content of Drinking Water with Gamma Spectrometry

http://www.nnsa.net/EPA-OW-2003-0070/EPA-OW-2003-0070-0088.pdf (1.0 Mb)

Also my comments that were submitted to the docket.

http://www.nnsa.net/EPA-OW-2003-0070/EPA-OW-2003-0070-0245.pdf

As well a link to the first page of this specific docket (OW-2003-0070):

http://cascade.epa.gov/RightSite/dk_public_collection_detail.htm?ObjectType=dk_docket_collection&cid=OW-2003-0070&ShowList=items&Action=view

Mr. Donivan Porterfield

PO  Box 1417

Los Alamos, NM  87544