Re: Radiation Resistant Bacteria

Hi Andre,

Take a look on the web for Deinococcus Radiodurans it is supposedly the most

radiation resistant bacteria known and is used and a Biological Indicator

(BI) in validating radiation sterilization procedures for FDA approval.

Before anyone gets worried about an irradiated mutant strain of it infecting

people around Hanford, this bacteria has been known for some time.  It is

non-infectious.  As I remember it likes to hang out in nasty places like

volcanic vents, and has developed some pretty neat survival adaptations like

redundant DNA.

2000 Gy may not be out of line.  I seem to recall that it can be cultured

from samples irradiated to 250 Gy, but it has been awhile since I looked.

The info is out there on the web once you have the name.

Dale

daleboyce@charter.net