Re: " Scientists Say Dirty Bomb Would Be a Dud "

I'll try to offer a somewhat biased opinion on this one.  By and large,

Americans are not being educated with regard to dirty bombs.  Most adult

Americans receive their on-going education from the media,  that is ,

television, newspapers popular magazines and radio.  These sources make

essentially all their profits by selling advertising.  The more

spectacular the story, the more advertising is sold and the greater the

profit.  Since these sources have no one on staff who understands RDDs,

the assign reporters to go to "experts" for their stories.  "Experts" or

at least the ones who believe they are experts, will offer differing

opions on RDDs.  The spectrum likely runs from "All dirty bombs are

useless" to "Dirty bombs will bring down our civilization."

So, who is the reporter supposed to believe.  Having no background in

the subject, he or she decides to quote at least two points of view.

Preferably, these should be as far as part as possible to demonstrate

disagreement and contention amongst scientific experts.  This makes for

a great story that will improve advertising sales and hence profits.

And, the reporter is demonstrating her of his commitment to fair and

objective journalism by providing differing points of view.

So the average American citizen doesn't know what to believe.  But,

given our penchant for the morose, deep down inside we figure that it's

got to be bad if someone is reporting it, so let's go with the worst

case scenario and predict the downfall of civilization from a RDD

attack.

A few citizens will do some research on the topic; going to libraries,

seeking out the most knowledgeable sources, talking with friends "in the

business."  They at least stand a chance of understanding the issue.

The moral of the story is if one of those few who are honestly trying

to find information and understand it should stumble on to RADSAFE,

let's treat them kindly, not ridicule their use of language, befuddle

them with cryptic opinions heavily laced with acronyms and references to

obscure publications or allege that they've signed on only to get

something for free.  They may have their faults, but they're probably

our only hope.

Gerald Nicholls

NJ Department of Environmental Protection

609-633-7964

>>> Jose Julio Rozental <joseroze@netvision.net.il> 06/11/04 12:25AM

Dear colleagues,

I am writing a paper Radiological Accident in Goiania x RDD to be

presented in any future Congress

In Goiania we have learned that many adverse problems we had to be

faced with, besides the technical response, problems that were not

written previously in any publications about emergency response planning

and preparedness. I'll fix my point in this specific topic psychological

concern and ask one question to help me in my paper:  The Goiania's

accident caught Brazil by surprise, this will not be the case of a RDD -

- USA has a high degree of education, comparing many other countries. My

 question to colleagues: Isn't American citizen being educate to deal

with this fact?

Thanks for the cooperation

If colleagues of another country could also cooperate, I'll appreciate

I would like to add, that the radioactive material mass  in Goiania was

93 grams (radioactive mass plus agglutinant)  and the volume  about 30

cubic centimeter (3.7 cm diameter and 3.0 cm. high)

Jose Julio Rozental

joseroze@netvision.net.il

Israel