Re: Cannot have it both ways

      The public is not completely irrational. Given that the government  requires massive expenditures to clean up trivial quantities of residual radioactive contamination, how can we suggest that consequences of any "dirty bomb" events would be no big deal?

        ----- Original Message -----

        From: Fritz A. Seiler

        To: LNMolino@AOL.COM ; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

        Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 3:44 PM

        Subject: RE: " Scientists Say Dirty Bomb Would Be a Dud "

        Hi All,

            I don't understand what the precise meaning of the word "dud" is

        here. Nuclear devices can be duds, when only the conventional C4

        or so goes up.  I hope that this is not what is meant here.  Otherwise,

        the power of an RDD is defined by the size of the chemical explosive.

        That is also where in my opinion most of the danger to nearby people

        comes  from.  What I do know is that an RDD works best if it uses a

        conventional explosive,  a TNT-derivative or C4 or so, to disperse a

        pre-existing invaluable radioactive aerosol.

            In this context, let us also always remember to give thanks to not

        only the anti-nukes who spread lies, but also to the inventors and the

        sustainers of the LNT Model, as well as to the ALARA enthusiasts

        (with their nonsensical statement "Every little bit hurts!") for helping to

        create that widespread and unreasoning fear in our public of anything

        even remotely connected with radioactivity. Without their contributions,

        an RDD would just be a bomb, fearful enough, but just a bomb.  What

        we really don't need, is this added fear created by bad science.  And

        by bad science I mean the kind of science that is created by people

        who deliberately choose to ignore the strong experimental evidence

        for the effects of radiation hormesis that strongly contradicts the LNT

        and its properties and that has contradicted it since long before the

        LNT was given paradigm status.

        Best regards,

        Fritz

        Fritz A. Seiler, Ph.D.

        Sigma Five Consulting:       Private:

        P.O. Box 1709                   P.O. Box 437

        Los Lunas, NM 87031         Tome', NM 87060

        Tel.:      505-866-5193         Tel. 505-866-6976

        Fax:      505-866-5197         USA

        "This is the hour when democracy must justify

        itself by capacity  for effective decision, or risk

        destruction or desintegration. Europe is dotted

        with the ruins of right decisions taken too late."

        "America's Responsibility in the Current Crisis"

        Manifesto of the Christian Realists. May, 1940.