Re: smoke detector letter

This is interesting. Is this decision by the NRC still current? We have always

shipped Am-241 smoke detectors at high cost as a lab pack item for disposal.

Remember the story of the atomic boy scout? He used these sources as starting

material for his solid state nuclear reactor in his back yard. And it worked!

I'ts not a stretch to imagine they could easily be purchased (or salvaged) and

used by terrorists for other purposes.

-Russ