Provision of Health Physics Monitoring resource

This may be too large a subject to cover in a single posting but I would like

to try.

With the current business models adopted by most organisations there is

considerable pressure to reduce the cost of provide monitoring of the workplace and

of work in progress by Health Physics Personnel (would include RCTs,

Monitors, Surveyors etc.).   While I recognise that it is impossible to identify a

single approach that would suit all sites/activities and all tasks I would like

the views of the list on several key issues.

a) The use of operations/maintenance personnel to undertake task based

monitoring.   One of the drivers towards this approach is ALARA and Dose Reduction

(Radworkers?).   Wherever possible HP staff will no longer be exposed alongside

operations/maintenance staff.   I have no issue with the principle of this

approach however several things concern me.   The adequacy of training, is it

hours/days or weeks and the type of refresher training.   The scope of the work

undertaken, very often the largest reductions in dose for these groups of

workers can be achieved on the highest hazard work.   The collection and retention

of data from these groups of workers, how is this fed through to the

professional Haps and collated and retained for future reference.   Confidence that

these skill are maintained at an appropriate level, that they are not simply

being trained and then left for long periods of time when they are not using the

skils/knowledge that they have learned.

b) The divestment of radiological monitoring (and the provision of

professional advice) into project teams, i.e. the fragmentation of HP staff into small

project teams.   The concern here is that HP personal may then have to report

to a project manager who's prime concern is meeting project goals and deadlines

and who may not support HP personnel on issues that could affect project

milestones.   Agaibn there is the issue of the collation and retention of

monitoring records, particularly where these may affect future tasks e.g. the project

ma be to process some waste storage vessels containers.   Once processed a new

contract may be let to decommission the empty vessels storage facilities and

the results of surveys undertaken during the processing work could be key to

the ALARA planning for decomissioning.

c) The use of a 'turnkey' contractor for specific projects where complete

responsibility for radiological issues is handed to the contractor.   Some of the

issues are similar to item b) above.   In addition however there are

questions about competence of HP personnel.   What systems are in place to ensure that

staff are competent to undertake the monitoring.   I believe for example that

the DoE requires all RCTs   to have completes the DoE HP core competency

module? and other identified courses.   Is it appropriate for all of these

individuals to be interviewed by the Prime Contractor/Site Operator/Site Licensee.

Is there any independent oversight e.g. HP staff who are independent of the

project undertaking reassurance monitoring.   Should contractors personnel be

responsible for clearance monitoring of items from the site, or should

independent final clearance surveys be undertaken.   Is there sufficient independent HP

resource available to meet the near, medium and long term needs of the

industry.   As outage times get shorter, and clean up/decommissioning programmes

accelerate there may be fewer individuals willing to enter into world of contract

HP.   Again the issue of records is a key concern.

On a final note, many organisations in the past have used mostly an in-house

resource for radiological monitoring with contract resources used for short

term peaks.   This led to large groups of experienced personnel being available

on sites and the ability to 'succession plan'.   If organisations move to

smaller core groups e.g limited to undertaking the minimum level of

legal/statutory monitoring are there independent contracting organisations willing and able

to fill the gap with well trained personnel who are willing to cover limited

fixed term contracts where there is no lucrative per-diem payment involved.

Finally, I would like to state that the intention of the above was not to

slight individuals or contracting companies who provide contract support.   Nor

to suggest that the only way to manage HP monitoring issues is to maintain an

iron grip on everything and not to look for modern solutions to modern issues.

 On the contrary I'm interested in the experience of others and to understand

how these solutions have or have not worked and in what context they were

applied.

Feel free to reply either directly or to the list, I am happy to collate

these questions.

Regards,

Julian