RE: Numerous Transuranics found at Niagara - Help

it has been a while but the "old epa closure inplace\no migration rule" could have placed this material somewhere in the ball park minimally a couple of meters above the mean upper fluxuation of the water table but this has been there since 1944

-----Original Message-----

From: NiagaraNet@AOL.COM [mailto:NiagaraNet@AOL.COM]

Sent: Friday, June 25, 2004 11:14 AM

To: $SENDER@list.vanderbilt.edu; radsafe-digest@list.vanderbilt.edu

Cc: NiagaraNet@AOL.COM

Subject: Numerous Transuranics found at Niagara - Help

Dear Radsafers:

I'm looking for some assistance. There have been numerous transuranic materials found around Niagara Falls, New York, including Plutonium, Lanthanum, Strontium, Actinium, Cesium and perhaps others. All of these fission products have been buried at the Lake Ontario Ordnance Works since at least 1944. All products were disposed of in direct contact to the soils and within feet of the water table.

Would someone be able to tell me the dangers of these materials being in the environment and in contact to the soils and in near proximity to the water table.

This situation, I believe, is serious and perhaps even catastrophic in magnitude.

I would appreciate any comments, guidance or direction to address this situation of grave concern.

Thanking you each in advance for any help.

Sincerely,

Louis Ricciuti

Niagara Falls Lewiston - Porter, New York

"Los Alamos East"