Re: Numerous Transuranics found at Niagara - Help

As of a year or two ago, the plutonium was only alleged (I hope I spelled that correctly) to have been buried at the ordinance works.

Steven Dapra <sjd@swcp.com> wrote:June 25

Plutonium, lanthanum, strontium, actinium, and cesium are buried around

Niagara Falls. Imagine that.

Of this, Lewis Ricciuti writes: "Would someone be able to tell me the

dangers of these materials being in the environment and in contact to the

soils and in near proximity to the water table. This situation, I believe,

is serious and perhaps even catastrophic in magnitude.

"I would appreciate any comments, guidance or direction to address this

situation of grave concern."

Under comments, I would ask if "catastrophic" and "grave concern" are

sufficiently grandiose superlatives to describe something that is probably

nothing.

As far as Pu and Sr are concerned, you, Lewis, have a lot of both of them

in you from global fallout. How is your general health?

Since these radionuclides have been sitting in the ground for 50 to 60

years with no apparent ill effects so far, the situation is probably not

catastrophic or even serious in magnitude.

Steven Dapra

sjd@swcp.com

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/