Re: Niagara Falls Fission Products...

Hmmmmmmm,

     This is from:     jpreisig@aol.com   .

     Hello Radsafers,

          Dear Niagara Falls dude.  WOW, take it slow, buddy.

     You need to do some background research before you get all excited

     about Niagara Falls fission products.

          First, find out which elements are in this waste, and which isotopes

      and in what quantity.  Then you can use the Rad Health Handbook

      or the Schlein book, to see which radioisotopes have decayed away

      already.

           Then you need to find the groundwater book by Freeze and Cherry

      (or a book like it) and see what the Kd (or R) values are for each

      specific isotope.  Some radioisotopes travel at the velocity of the

      groundwater they are in.  Other radioisotopes travel much slower than

the

      groundwater they are in.

           Waste form is also important.  Is the waste in barrels, in

solidified

      form, etc.???

           Radioisotopes that I know travel well with groundwater are:

      Tritium,  C-14, Tc-99, I-129 and NP-237.  There may be others.  I think

      remember getting some Kd-value information from the Presto

      groundwater computer code and its user manuals.

           Now, if you want to computer model all this, you can get the

      computer code Femwater/BLT and set up your actual site geometry

      on your Personal Computer.  I think Femwater/BLT is available from

      the Radiation Shielding Information Center (RSICC now) at Oak Ridge

      National Laboratory.

           Now that's a fair amount of work to do.  Let RADSAFE know what you

      find out, OK???

           Take care.                           Joe Preisig, Ph.D.

                                                     (J.R. Preisig)