RE: Niagara Falls Fission Products...

J Preisig wrote:

-----Original Message-----

From: owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

[mailto:owner-radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu] On Behalf Of JPreisig@AOL.COM

Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 7:14 AM

To: radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

Subject: Re: Niagara Falls Fission Products...

Hmmmmmmm,

    This is from:     jpreisig@aol.com   .

    Hello Radsafers,

         Dear Niagara Falls dude.  WOW, take it slow, buddy.

    You need to do some background research before you get all excited

    about Niagara Falls fission products.

          <snip>

           Radioisotopes that I know travel well with groundwater are:

     Tritium,  C-14, Tc-99, I-129 and NP-237.  There may be others.  I

think I

     remember getting some Kd-value information from the Presto

     groundwater computer code and its user manuals.

           <snip>

==============

Since I-129 has a 17 million year half-life and decays with a relatively

low energy beta, the folklore/joke around here is that the carcinogenic

dose of I-129 is 28 lbs in the thyroid.  In fact, because of the low

activity, it is usually measured using neutron activation, rather than

simply sitting around for weeks taking a count.   It does move right

along with the groundwater though.

Best regards.

Jim Dukelow

Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

Richland, WA

jim.dukelow@pnl.gov

These comments are mine and have not been reviewed and/or approved by my

management or by the U.S. Department of Energy.