Looking for Small Re-usable Type A Containers

With a single exception one can not buy an off-the-shelf  Type A package.

That exception is the PetNet F-18 packaging system.  One must be very

careful.  Some companies will sell you "components" of a Type A package.

The proof of the pudding is the documentation.  The documentation must

address each item in 49 CFR 173.410; 173.412; 173.465 and 173.466.  Note the

criteria in 49 CFR 173.412(j) requires no loss or dispersal of radioactive

material, and no significant increase (20%) in the surface radiation levels.

Unless the documentation address each item in the above four sections of the

regulations one does not have a Type A package.  One of the common short

comings is the failure to provide a complete description of the packaging

system and limiting parameters.

Also, I have not seen any package testing companies provide complete

documentation.  They will provide documentation which address the loss or

dispersal of radioactive material, but always leave the increase in surface

radiation levels to the user.

An excellent reference, DOT 7A Type A Documents, is found in www.rampac.com.

Roy A. Parker, Ph.D.

Tel: 225-924-1473