Re: Article: Lung cancer screening raises OR LOWERS lung cancerrisk

In a message dated 7/1/2004 12:10:53 PM Pacific Standard Time,

crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM writes:

Actually, you don't have to convince me.  You have to

convince  the regulators and authorities.  How are you

doing at  that?

Technically speaking, it's mostly the politicians and non-technical

political agency appointees or civil service policy wonks (who often do not  have real

scientific degrees) that require "convincing."  Since  they're not really

pre-disposed to understanding any of this "science stuff,"  it's going to be a

long, hard, uphill walk in the fog to try and get them to pay  attention long

enough to understand the issues.  I think the "regulators"  with legitimate

education and experience credentials are already on board with  balancing the

theoretical harms and benefits of various levels of exposure in a  manner

supported by science and fully embracing the limitations of those  scientific results

on both ends of the spectrum.

Barbara L. Hamrick