  From: BLHamrick@AOL.COM

  To: crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM ; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu

  Cc: rad-sci-1@wpi.edu

  Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 11:04 PM

  Subject: Re: Article: Lung cancer screening raises OR LOWERS lung cancer risk

  In a message dated 7/1/2004 12:10:53 PM Pacific Standard Time, crispy_bird@YAHOO.COM writes:

    Actually, you don't have to convince me.  You have to

    convince the regulators and authorities.  How are you

    doing at that?

  Technically speaking, it's mostly the politicians and non-technical political agency appointees or civil service policy wonks (who often do not have real scientific degrees) that require "convincing."  Since they're not really pre-disposed to understanding any of this "science stuff," it's going to be a long, hard, uphill walk in the fog to try and get them to pay attention long enough to understand the issues.  I think the "regulators" with legitimate education and experience credentials are already on board with balancing the theoretical harms and benefits of various levels of exposure in a manner supported by science and fully embracing the limitations of those scientific results on both ends of the spectrum.

  Barbara L. Hamrick