Re: Radioactive Quack Meds

Fascinating article!

My opinion, from having read the literature regarding

non-linear dose response curves and regarding radium

ingestion, is that overdosage with "Revigators" and

similar devices was dangerously possible, and there

were probably overdosage cases other than that of Eben

Byers, especially since Ra accumulates in bone.

Although they contained natural ore, I think they're

'not for human consumption.'  On a similar note, I

believe that 'ephedra' was recently banned after a

number of cases of heart attacks, strokes etc.

However, I will admit to having articles such as

Fiesta ware and 1" size mineral specimens in my rather

well-ventilated home.  They are on shelves and on

tables in the living area.  So, there is a bit of

extra external gamma, but I draw the line at anything

internal.

Along the lines of external gamma, I do think the

situation in Taiwan with 60-Co rebar is quite

interesting, and would love to see a detailed cohort

followup of the apt. dwellers.

If a hypothetical study of the low dosage range vs. a

variable such as increased mouse/rat life span etc.,

were to be performed, a study of external gamma by

itself would have fewer factors (easier to analyze)

than a study that involved internal exposure or a

mixture of alpha and gamma.

Ruth Sponsler

http://www.popsci.com/popsci/science/article/0,12543,670526,00.html

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail