Re: Kodak X-ray film lowers radiation dose

Radsafers - Not to sound like a commercial, but wanted to clarify some

points recently made on Radsafe about film vs digital in the health care

world.   Kodak's Health Imaging Group offers a full range of imaging

solutions for radiologists.  The traditional medical films are still used

by a significant number of radiologists in both developed and emerging

markets.  As demonstrated by our announcement of the high speed film, we

continue to invest in selected technologies.

Kodak has been offering digital solutions to radiologists for several

years.  Our digital X-ray equipment has been installed in numerous

hospitals, clinics, and health care facilities worldwide.  Using Kodak

Health Imaging products, some hospitals are filmless.  Following are some

of our digital offerings>

Digitizers that will convert traditional films to digital images.

For modalities, such as MRI, the images can be managed by Kodak's Picture

Archive and Communication Systems (PACS).  These digital images can be read

on Kodak's displays or printed on our laser imagers for viewing on a

conventional viewbox.

Kodak sells both Computed and Digital Radiography equipment.  Computed

Radiography (CR) uses a storage phosphor, instead of a film/screen

combination, in the cassette to capture the image.  The stored image in the

phosphor is read by a laser and the image is printed to a laser film or

read on soft copy.  The storage phosphor image is erased and available for

the next exam.  CR systems can use existing X-ray generators.  Digital

Radiography (DR) replaces the cassette with an array that converts the

X-radiation to a digital image.  These systems are sold with a X-ray

generator.

Kodak also offers digital capture solutions for both intraoral and

extraoral dental applications.

Following is the web site for Health Imaging with more information on

Kodak's digital offerings in the medical field:

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/health/

Not sure about the issue of digital medical images used as evidence in the

court of law.  I'm sure the lawyers will let us know.

_____________________________

Joseph M. Greco, CHP

Radiation/Laser Safety Officer

Eastman Kodak Company

Rochester NY 14652-6261

voice:  585-588-3324

fax:       585-588-0825

email:   joseph.greco@kodak.com

motto:  "illegitimi non carborundum"

                      Russ Johnson

                      <rujohnso@nmsu.edu>            To:      "Vernig, Peter G." <Peter.Vernig@MED.VA.GOV>

                      Sent by:                       cc:      "radsafe@list.Vanderbilt.Edu"

                      owner-radsafe@list.van         <radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu>

                      derbilt.edu                    Subject: Re: Kodak X-ray film lowers radiation dose

                      08/05/2004 03:09 PM

                      Please respond to Russ

                      Johnson

Filmless photography is the rage now, so why not filmless medical

radiography? Kodak had better prepare or they will become obsolete. Our

local hospital went with digital imaging a couple of years ago. Works fine.

Only thing to keep in mind is that digital radiographic images might not be

admissible as evidence in a court of law. I don't know if that one has come

up yet or not. So, film will likely be around for a while longer, just for

things like that.

-Russ

"Vernig, Peter G." wrote:

       Film is passé and will probably soon be all but obsolete in this

      country.  Digital imaging is here now and we switched over a year ago

      in radiology.  One of our clinics uses it in their dental clinic we

      do not as yet, matter of inertia and start up costs.  But besides

      reducing use of chemicals with toxic silver [that's right silver] and

      attendant silver recovery it allows us to read studies from two of

      our clinics here.My guess is Kodak is trying to retain as much

      business for as long as possible by making whatever improvements it

      can.I visited an orthopedist because my daughter had a problem

      [essentially like having osteoporosis [sp?] in one bone in her foot

      because of poor blood supply.  The doctor was able to zoom, enlarge,

      rotate, and very visually and explicitly show me the problem, or

      actually the correction of the problem.It was way cool!  And my

      daughter's foot is OK too. Any opinions in this e-mail are solely

      those of the author, and are not represented as those of the VA

      Eastern Colorado HCS, the Dept. of Veterans Affairs, or the US

      Government.

      Peter G. Vernig, Radiation Safety Officer, VA Eastern Colorado Health

      Care System, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO 80220,

      peter.vernig@med.va.gov, Phone= 303.399.8020 x2447; Fax =

      303.393.5026, alternate fax, 303.393.5248

      "...whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is lovely, whatever

      is admirable, if anything is found to be excellent or praiseworthy,

      let your mind dwell on these things."

      Paul of Tarsus