Re: Non-Specialized cell

>From the 4th Edition of Gollnick (2000), Page 90,

"The last criterion, unspecialized, needs further

comment. In the biological sense, this means a cell

which is capable of specialization, at some future

time, into one of several different .adult. cell

types. An example might be one of the immature

blood cells. Many types of blood cells are .born.

unspecialized. Depending on the feedback signal

received long after they are formed, they can choose

to .grow up. and mature into lymphocytes, or different

types of granulocytes. Probably the most unspecialized

human cell is a fertilized ovum. From this single

cell, daughter cells develop into such widely

different mature cells as bone, brain, blood, and

fingernails."

--- Russ Johnson <rujohnso@nmsu.edu> wrote:

> Since you're a tech trainer like me, I'll take a

> shot at this. The brain is an

> organ (not a cell as stated), and all organs by

> definition are specialized. I'm

> pretty sure of that. The brain could be considered

> unspecialized only perhaps

> during the first trimester, in utero. That brings in

> the context of maturity as

> a function of degree of specialization. Essentially,

> all immature cells are

> unspecialized. But, later on when the DNA

> information activates, the cell

> begins to perform its function and becomes

> specialized. I think that's what

> Gollnick is getting at on pages 62 and 62 in Basic

> Radiaton Protection

> Technology, 1983.

> -Russ

> "Moore,Paul" wrote:

> > I am looking for the answer to this question "Is

> the brain considered to be

> > a non-specialized cell?"

> > I have read the section in Gollnick and cannot

> interpret what is being

> > stated.

> > I am receiving different answer from people where

> I work, so I thought I

> > would ask Radsafe for the answer.

> > Thanks very much for your time.

> > Paul Moore

> > HP Technical Trainer

> > Phone 270-442-5956 / MS 2121

> > FAX 270-441-6139

> > <mailto:moorepe@pgdp.usec.com>

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> > text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> > with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> > http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist