Re: Non-Specialized cell

Someone, whose message I lost, asked about the term

"specialized cell."  I would say that these are cells

that have acquired through successive division certain

propertises that make them unique.  The changes are

probably controlled by the cellular environment and

neighboring cells.  ("Hey, I'm going to be a brain

cell.  You have to become a liver cell!") For example,

mature neurons can transmit electrical impulses along

their membranes due to the release of biochemical

reactants at the end plates of dendrites of adjacent

cells.

http://www.doereport.com/displaymonograph.php?MID=115

Neutrons cannot contract like muscle cells, because

their intracellular structure has changed.  Both

neurons and muscle cells are specialized.

A non-specialized cell might be the myelocytes

http://www.vghtpe.gov.tw/~hema/hematopoitic%20cell%20differentiation/myeloblast.htm

which can differentiate into a number of white cell

types

http://www.vghtpe.gov.tw/~hema/hematopoitic%20cell%20differentiation/myeloid%20series.htm

Of course, each and every cell has, and still has, the

potential to become any specialized cell in the body.

The potential exists in the DNA of the cell.  It

appears that as cells become more specialized, they

loose the ability to regress to a precursor form.

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist