Re: Non-Specialized cell

Actually Schwann cells are located outside the brain and spinal cord.

Oligodendrocytes are the myelin-producers in the brain and spinal cord,

the central nervous system.

I think it is safe to say the brain cells are very specialized, or

"differentiated" compared to, say, the epithelial cells that line the GI

tract.  They do not divide rapidly, which is probably why they are more

radiation-resistant than cells that divide frequently.

Susan McElrath

smhp@bellsouth.net

(770) 222-0829 home

(770) 222-4958 office