  From: james.g.barnes@att.net

  To: RadSafe Bulletin Board

  Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 5:22 PM

  Subject: State of the Radiation Safety Art (1950 - 1955)

  Dear all;

  I am working on a project that requires an understanding of what we knew about the hazards / benefits of radiation exposure in the 1950 - 55 time frame.  In other words, we probably didn't know as much about biological radiation effects back then that we now know.  What I'm trying to do is establish what we did know and when we knew it.

  I have purchased some second hand books that will be helpful, but I was wondering if anyone a) knows what radiation health textbooks were considered standard at the time, and b) knows where I might be able to find a copy of them.

  Also, if any of you know of any assumptions that were made in the 1945 - 1955 time frame about radiation effects than were then found to be false, I'd be interested in hearing about them (especially if you happen to have any references documenting these assumptions).

  Thanks,

  Jim Barnes, CHP

  james.g.barnes@att.net