Re: Licensing Radioactive Material Offshore Africa

At 03:47 AM 8/14/2004, Jose Julio Rozental wrote:

>Dear Rob,

>I think Angola has Regulatory Authority and receive IAEA Support, please GO TO

><http://www-tc.iaea.org/tcweb/projectinfo/default.asp>http://www-tc.iaea.org/tcweb/projectinfo/default.asp

>and look at Project Number ANG/9/002 -- You can see for this project the

>IAEA's objective - To assist the Government of Angola to establish a

>national radiation safety infrastructure in order to comply with the

>international basic safety standards for protection against ionizing

>radiation and for the safety of radiation sources.

>It's very important your procedure to follow country's regulation. To help

>the country, I suggest you to prepare an operational  manual containing

>topics on Radiation Protection,  Safety and Security  in Portuguese

>(official language, best option), taking into account  the IAEA's

>recommendation  based in the Safety Series 115 and ask for a meeting with

>the Angola's Authority to approve it.

Jose: I think this project may not have resulted in any regulatory

organization being set up (or at least functioning to the point that they

are issuing licenses. I have forwarded the information you sent to our

people in country for follow up.

Thanks & Regards

Doug

Doug Aitken             Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE

Advisor

Phone (Sugarland):      281 285-8009

Phone (Home office):    713 797-0919

Phone (Cell):           713 562-8585

Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net

Schlumberger E-mail: daitken@sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com

Mail:   300 Schlumberger Drive MD2, Room 111

         Sugar Land, TX 77478