  From: Doug Aitken

  To: Jose Julio Rozental ; Radsafe ; rob.w.powell@exxonmobil.com

  Sent: Saturday, August 14, 2004 11:14 AM

  Subject: Re: Licensing Radioactive Material Offshore Africa

  At 03:47 AM 8/14/2004, Jose Julio Rozental wrote:

    Dear Rob,

    I think Angola has Regulatory Authority and receive IAEA Support, please GO TO

    http://www-tc.iaea.org/tcweb/projectinfo/default.asp

    and look at Project Number ANG/9/002 -- You can see for this project the IAEA's objective - To assist the Government of Angola to establish a national radiation safety infrastructure in order to comply with the international basic safety standards for protection against ionizing radiation and for the safety of radiation sources.

    It's very important your procedure to follow country's regulation. To help the country, I suggest you to prepare an operational  manual containing topics on Radiation Protection,  Safety and Security  in Portuguese (official language, best option), taking into account  the IAEA's recommendation  based in the Safety Series 115 and ask for a meeting with the Angola's Authority to approve it.

  Jose: I think this project may not have resulted in any regulatory organization being set up (or at least functioning to the point that they are issuing licenses. I have forwarded the information you sent to our people in country for follow up.

  Thanks & Regards

  Doug

  Doug Aitken             Schlumberger Drilling and Measurements QHSE Advisor

  Phone (Sugarland):      281 285-8009

  Phone (Home office):    713 797-0919

  Phone (Cell):           713 562-8585

  Principal E-mail: jdaitken@earthlink.net

  Schlumberger E-mail: daitken@sugar-land.oilfield.slb.com

  Mail:   300 Schlumberger Drive MD2, Room 111

          Sugar Land, TX 77478