Re: Radioactive Material Rules in Jamaica

Jamaica is part of the IAEA's Model Project - Latin American Section

      The Government of Jamaica has launched an occupational radiation protection programme. According to the recommendations of a RAPAT mission carried out in 1988, a Radiation Protection Advisory Committee was established within the Ministry of Health and Environmental Control, which prepared legislation to be approved by Parliament. The Agency assisted this Committee and the Centre for Nuclear Sciences of the University of the West Indies, which is in charge of personnel dosimetry services, to establish a national radiation protection regime.

      Seven expert services were provided to assist in elaborating radiation protection regulations.

      As a result of the project, national radiation protection activities have been strengthened, thus contributing to the reduction of occupational exposure and of risk to the public and the environment. Some activities will continue under the interregional model project INT/9/143.

      Jose Julio Rozental

      joseroze@netvision.net.il

      Israel