Re: Self-taught scientist created CAT scan

Hounsfield's Nobel acceptance presentation can be

found at

http://www.nobel.se/medicine/laureates/1979/hounsfield-lecture.pdf

An interesting side-light is that the company

Hounsfiedl worked for, EMI, made their money from the

sale and distribution of Beatles music.

--- Jaro <jaro-10kbq@sympatico.ca> wrote:

http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/news/story.html?id=f186e4c5-2

> d4b-4b22-b672-2ec20c1dd33e

> Self-taught scientist created CAT scan

> Led British design team. After practising procedure

> on a cow brain, he

> submitted himself in first human trials

> The Daily Telegraph

> Tuesday, August 17, 2004

> Godfrey Hounsfield, who died on August 12 at age 84,

> led the team that

> developed Britain's first big solid-state computer

> before inventing the

> computerized axial tomography (CAT) scanner for use

> in clinical diagnosis;

> in recognition of this latter achievement he was

> awarded the 1979 Nobel

> Prize for Physiology or Medicine.

> Hounsfield conceived the idea for a CAT scanner in

> 1967 during a weekend

> ramble in the country. Initially, it had nothing to

> do with medicine, but

> was simply "a realization that you could determine

> what was in a box by

> taking readings at all angles through it.''

> On his return to EMI's research laboratories at

> Hayes, in Middlesex, he

> began working on a device that could process

> hundreds of X-ray beams to

> obtain a three-dimensional display of the inside of

> a living organism.

> Combining computer and X-ray technology, and

> practising "on a brain of a cow

> my colleague got from a kosher house on the other

> side of London'' (he

> submitted his own head for the first human trials),

> by 1972 Hounsfield had

> evolved a machine that could produce detailed images

> of cross-sections of

> the brain in four and a half minutes. Introduced in

> 1973, early CAT scanners

> were used to overcome obstacles in the diagnosis of

> diseases of the brain,

> and Hounsfield subsequently modified his machine to

> enable it to scan the

> whole body.

> Unknown to Hounsfield, a South African nuclear

> physicist, Allan Cormack, had

> worked on essentially the same problems of CAT, and

> in a paper published in

> 1957 had suggested a reconstruction technique called

> the Radon transform.

> Although Cormack's work was not widely circulated,

> and he and Hounsfield did

> not collaborate or even meet, in 1979 both men

> shared the Nobel Prize in

> Physiology or Medicine for the development of

> computerized tomography.

> The invention of the CAT scanner was a remarkable

> achievement, not least

> because of the complex algebraic calculations

> involved in the computer

> programming. Other research teams with larger

> resources than EMI had already

> dismissed such a device as impossible to develop,

> and one prominent British

> scientist remarked Hounsfield's machine used

> "mathematics I wouldn't pretend

> to understand now or at any stage of my career.''

> Yet Hounsfield had never been to university and was

> [...]

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist