Re: Amchitka

At 12:56 AM 08/18/2004, maury wrote:

>(Which I'd think would negate DOE funding to do more studies.)

In the DOE world, there is politics and there is science. The words "it's

still unclear whether radioactive particles released underground by

Cannikin and two smaller nuclear test blasts on the island are leaking"

typically mean it's been studied and nothing has been detected, therefore

more study is needed. I often hear HPs say LNT is only of academic

interest. However, I spend a lot of time dealing with the public perception

of micro-rem-per-year doses. To paraphrase Dr Seuss: a photon's a photon no

matter how small.

mike

Mike McNaughton

Los Alamos National Lab.