Re: [Know_Nukes] Mangano urges new studies of TMI health effects

Since when is the Bulletin of Atomic Scientist peer

reviewed?  I have never seen it carried in any reseach

library.

I bet Joseph Mangano would be willing to set up a

program to collect and "document" all of the health

effects.  Can you say "retirement fund?"

--- Norm Cohen <ncohen12@comcast.net> wrote:

> LancasterOnline.com

> TMI health studies hit

> By Ad Crable

> Published: Aug 17, 2004 2:23 PM EST

> LANCASTER COUNTY, PA - A new, critical analysis of

> more than three-dozen

> studies into the health effects since the 1979

> accident at the Three Mile

> Island nuclear plant concludes ?it is likely a full

> accounting of health

> effects will never be known.?But the truth could and

> should be documented,

> argues researcher Joseph Mangano of the nonprofit

> Radiation and Public

> Health Project.

> His article, ?Three Mile Island: Health Study

> Meltdown,? is published in

> the new edition of the peer-reviewed Bulletin of the

> Atomic Scientists.

> Mangano criticizes the medical community for

> fixating on stress-related

> health effects from the accident and not doing

> extensive research into

> cancer rates in residents beyond five miles of the

> plant, where wind-blown

> radiation may have settled.

> Both the Bulletin and the Radiation and Public

> Health Project have been

> critical of nuclear power.

> ?Twenty-five years after the largest accident in the

> history of the U.S.

> nuclear power industry, the research completed to

> date is limited,? says

> Mangano, who has published 20 medical journal

> articles on radiation health

> effects.

> ?Nothing exists in the literature on infant

> mortality, hypothyroidism in

> newborns, cancer in young children, or thyroid

> cancer, even though data

> for all of these were routinely collected in 1979.

> ?All these conditions are especially sensitive to

> ionizing radiation. Many

> prominent journals have remained silent. Why??

> In partial answer to his own question, Mangano

> asserts that the official

> position of the federal and Pennsylvania governments

> that the accident had

> negligible health effects has had a chilling effect.

> That?s very unfortunate, he says, because the

> ?effects of ionizing

> radiation may take decades to manifest as the onset

> of a disease like

> cancer. So monitoring of disease patterns and

> dose-response comparisons

> should continue.?

> Mangano?s own research of public health data shows

> that death rates of

> Dauphin and Lebanon county residents who were

> children in 1979 continue to

> be well above average to this day.

> Both areas were downwind of TMI during the accident.

> ?The degree to which this reflects the latent

> effects of Three Mile Island

> should be explored, especially since no risk factors

> in these two counties

> are obvious,? Mangano says.

> Evidence surfaced after the accident that radiation

> releases traveled long

> [...]

=== message truncated ===

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist