RE: saftey of being in the proximity of someone on RAI therapy

I do hope that the authorities have been things to do.

 What is generally done in the waste shipment is set

aside and allowed to decay.  Of course, I am assuming

that the landfill people have determined

spectroscopically that the waste in medical in nature,

e.g., I-131 or Tc-99m.

>From what I understand, this is what most states are

pushing the landfill operators to do.  I am not sure

about Colorado.

http://cancernet.nci.nih.gov/cancertopics/types/thyroid/

> [...]

> > However, patients do not excrete significant

> amounts

> > of iodine.  It is bound to the remanant throid

> tissue;

> > proper hand washing and sanitary activities, e.g.,

> > using separate eating utensils, precludes the

> spread

> > of contamination.

> > The use of a leaded apron will provide no benefits

> > protecting yourself from radiation emitted by your

> > friend. The radiation emitted by I-131 is high

> energy,

> > and the leaded apron protects against low energy

> x-ray

> > radiation.  The best way to protect yourself is to

> > stand or some distance from your friend, e.g., 3

> to 6

> > feet, and not spend significant amounts of time.

> > would avoid spending whole evenings watching TV

> with

> > her.

> > It is also important to keep in mind that the

> > recommendation are precautionary.  No harmful

> effects

> > have ever been shown to occur to caregivers who

> have

> > worked with therapy patients.

> > --- Steve Packard <kb1ipd@HOTMAIL.COM> wrote:

> > > Hello.   I realize that this board is not

> normally

> > > concerned with nuclear

> > > medicine, but perhaps someone with a good health

> > > physics background could

> > > help me.

> > > I have a very good friend who a few years ago

> was

> > > diagnosed with thyroid,

> > > throat and lymphoid cancer.   Her thyroid was

> > > removed and since then she has

> > > been given radiation therapy approximately every

> 6

> > > months.

> > > Her therapy consists of direct gamma irradiation

> of

> > > the neck region and

> > > ingestion of radioactive iodine.    I believe

> the

> > > isotope is iodine-123, but

> > > she didn't know for sure what isotope of iodine

> is

> > > used.    The iodine is

> > > administered in an attempt to eliminate any

> > > remaining thyroid tissue.

> > > The radiation therapy has the side effect of

> making

> > > her very ill,

> > > immediately after it is administered, and has

> the

> > > long term effect of

> > > causing her sinus problems.

> > > Her sinuses are chronically clogged and

> painfully

> > > filled with fluid that is

> > > impossible to drain.   She has sinus infections

> > > frequently and has been on

> > > antibiotics so many times for sinus infections,

> that

> > > they are losing their

> > > effectiveness.

> > > I am not sure if it is the iodine treatment or

=== message truncated ===

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist