Re: - Re: saftey of being in the proximity of someone on RAI therapy

Yes, by 10 CFR 2003(b) human waste is not regulated in

sanitary sewage systems (any thoughts on storm sewage

systems?).  However, you should not dump radioactive

animal waste down the sanitary sewage system unless

you unless you are licensed to do so by 10 CFR 2001.

--- Russ Johnson <rujohnso@nmsu.edu> wrote:

> Well, if anyone asks me about this again, at least I

> can give them some advice.

> So, litter, poop, I-131 and all down the toilet.

> Another person responded to

> this and said animal rad waste is regulated but

> human is not. Strange stuff

> these regulations! Would not be a problem if you

> have a septic tank, but I

> would not recommend doing this at a regulated

> facility like our university. Our

> waste streams are highly monitored, and those

> engineers tend to get excited

> when instruments go off. How about a city sewer?

> Those are monitored as well.

> But I guess once its diluted with millions of

> gallons of water, it would be

> hard to see. And it does decay fairly quick. So, OK.

> Thanks.

> -Russ

> Diane Griffiths wrote:

> > > supposed to do with the "hot" urine and feces

> collected in

> > > its litter box.

> > > Her veterinarian only said to make sure she

> collected it, but

> > > had no advice on what to do with it once

> collected. I can't

> > >remember the isotope's half life so she could

> decay it out before

> > If a cat is given I-131 for ablation, generally

> the owners are told to

> > obtain flushable litter and flush everything doen

> the toilet. They are also

> > instructed to hold the disposable litter box for

> about a month before

> > throwing it out in the normal trash.

> > There was a case in Mass. a few years back where

> an owner did get fined for

> > putting the radioactive kitty litter in his trash.

> It set off waste alarms

> > and they found radioactive kitty poop and other

> items in the trash that

> > allowed them to find out whose trash it was. He

> ended up getting fined

> > $3,856.00.

> > Diane Griffiths

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> > text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> > with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> > http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist