Re: saftey of being in the proximity of someone on RAI therapy

This little topic has stirred up quite a bit of interest.  I'm sure I  will

not have the last word, but I would like to clarify a few things.   Some of

what I have to say has already been pointed out, but I'd like to put it  all in

one place for future reference.

First of all, many landfills have been "required" by state law or by  their

permitting agency to install radiation detectors.  In general, these  are not

requirements imposed by the radiation health agencies, but by the waste

management agencies, who usually do not have health physics expertise on  staff.

In California, most of the installed monitors are sodium iodide detectors,

connected to a meter that provides a readout in kilo-counts per minute, and

without any ancillary equipment that would provide isotopic  identification.  As

someone else pointed out, the meters are usually set to  alarm anywhere

between 2 and 10 times the average background count-rate.

In an informal review I performed of landfill alarms that are voluntarily

reported by some states to the NRC's NMED system, over 98% of the alarms (from

the states that report) were from patient waste resulting from a recent

nuclear  medicine procedure.  The states most commonly see I-131 in the waste, but

have also found Tc-99m in surprising amounts, as well as Tl-201, and other

odds  and ends.  In some cases (especially early on when these detectors were

first installed), the regulatory agencies would often sort through the waste,

and a patient identification could be made from the waste surrounding the "hot"

 trash (now there is less inclination to sort through the trash if it can be

identified as a short-lived nuclear medicine isotope, since most inspectors

now  carry a portable gamma-spec system).

As another poster pointed out, when a "hot" apple core is found in the same

trash bag as 48 pieces of mail addressed to Ms. Jane Doe at 123 Plum Street,

one  can pretty much assume that Ms. Doe recently had some type of nuclear

medicine  treatment.  In one case I know of, this was confirmed, because an

inspector  drove by 123 Plum Street on the next "trash day" with a detector out the

car  window, and, sure enough, the trash was again "hot."  Thus no medical

entity has to provide any "privacy" information, although, just FYI, HIPPA does

provide some exemptions from the privacy requirements for regulatory

agencies.

The question is, what to do about this situation, as (at least in

California) these landfill alarm responses are unfunded activities that are very

time-consuming, and rather nasty (due to the trash aspect) as well.   They cannot

simply be ignored, because there actually have been incidents where  relatively

significant sources have been identified.  A very recent  case involved the

disposal of old therapeutic radium needles at a public  landfill.  The radiation

health agencies, in most states (PA may be an  exception) do not have the

authority to require the landfills to purchase  gamma-spec systems, and there is

considerable concern that even if they could,  the reported results would not

be reliable without implementing some type of  appropriate training and

re-training requirement for the landfill  operators.

In addition, even when these wastes are identified as short-lived nuclear

medicine isotopes, the landfills are under no obligation to take them.   Indeed,

most landfills in California carry a prohibition in their permit that  does

not allow them to accept any radioactive materials.  The practicality  of the

situation has been worked out with some landfills on a case-by-case  basis,

such that they will hold the waste load for decay, then bury it, or even  bury it

directly upon receipt of written "permission" from the radiation health

agency, but this varies, literally from landfill to landfill, not just state to

state.

This is a serious concern for many state agencies, as the number of these

monitors are increasing, and the response to the alarms is not generally

funded.  In states with large land areas (California, Texas, and Florida,  e.g.),

the problem is compounded, because the travel time usually well exceeds  the

response time, and is generally not justified by the end health and safety

impact of the "event."

As an aside, someone on the list noted that only licensees are responsible

for compliance with the regulations.  This is not the case in  California.

California regulations require "users" of radioactive  materials to comply with

the regulations, and the definition of "user" embraces  anyone with a

licensable source of radiation.  If it is not expressly  exempt, it is licensable, and

subject to regulation (irrespective of whether or  not it is, in fact,

licensed), though I am not aware of any attempt to enforce  regulations upon a

patient that has disposed of their own excreta-contaminated  waste to a solid waste

facility.

So, this is an issue that should be taken up by the nuclear medicine and

waste management communities, in conjunction with the radiation health agencies,

so that a reasonable solution may be found.  We are wasting an enormous

amount of money, nationwide, chasing "hot" diapers, yet we must be cognizant of

the fact that occasionally (though extremely rarely) these monitors do identify

 relatively more significant sources.  The question on the table should be

do those very rare occasions justify the other 98%+ of the responses.   I.e.,

if a radium needle or two makes it into a landfill somewhere in the  country

every 5 to 10 years, does that justify the millions wasted by the 50  states'

radiation health agencies chasing "hot" diapers on a daily basis?

Barbara L. Hamrick, CHP, JD