RE: saftey of being in the proximity of someone on RAI therapy

I am a little confused.  I don't think we were talking

about packaged radioactive waste.  The issue was the

need to respond to waste from a patient who was

treated and released to go home.  Having landfills

respond to lost sources, e.g., calibration or gauge

sources, should be done.

--- Gerald Nicholls <Gerald.Nicholls@dep.state.nj.us>

wrote:

> I don't know how many states require landfill

> operators to have portal

> monitors but I know that New Jersey does not.  Most

> landfills and

> incinerators here have installed them but it has

> been at the urging of

> their insurance carriers, not due to state

> regulation.

> I wasn't clear on one of my previous points, I agree

> that states would

> have to give upfront authorization to dispose of

> shortlived radioactive

> materials in landfills.  The point that I was trying

> to make is that

> even with such an authorization, you would still

> have the problem of who

> identifies an unknown radionuclide triggering a

> landfill monitor.  If

> the patient received waste packaging materials when

> leaving the

> hospital, and the packaging materials identified the

> contents as

> shortlived rad waste, and included contact

> information for verification,

> it should not be necessary to identify the rad

> material with gamma

> spectrometry.

> Gerald Nicholls

> NJDEP

> 12:48PM >>>

> If the states are requiring the landfill operators

> have portal monitors, then the states could require

> them to have hand-held spectrometers.

> --- "Flanigan, Floyd" <Floyd.Flanigan@nmcco.com>

> wrote:

> > I agree almost completely with one unfortunate

> point

> > of contest: The expenditure of resources to

> identify

> > the isotope once the alarm at the dump goes off.

> I'm

> > sure there is a way of addressing it efficiently

> > but who picks up the tab?

> > Floyd W. Flanigan B.S.Nuc.H.P.

=== message truncated ===

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist