RE: - Re: saftey of being in the proximity of someone on RAI thera py

That story about charging released human patients

sounds dubious.  Exactly what did the patient do

wrong?  For a cat, I would think they could fine the

veternarian for not properly instructing his agent(?),

the cat's owner.  That still sounds like a reach.

With regard to humans, 10 CFR 20.2003(b) allows human

extreta to be put in the sanitary sewage system, but I

do not know of any NRC or state regulations about

patient medical in landfills.  That really needs to

get resolved.

--- Diane Griffiths <DGriffiths@ehso.emory.edu> wrote:

> > Did the owner of the cat have a license to receive

> > radioactive material (in the cat) from the

> > veternarian?

> Nope, and they usually don't. (but then again, human

> patients in hospitals

> don't either when they are released. I have not

> heard of any fines due to

> radioactive trash in the landfill for human patients

> though.)

> Seems that they are more restrictive on what they

> allow with radioactive

> animal waste??

> Cats are able to be released from most veterinary

> clinics if their exposure

> level is at or below 0.5 mR/hr at one meter. This

> means keeping the cats

> approximately 3 days in the clinic before releasing

> them to the owners.

> Diane Griffiths

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist