Proximity?

    I am somewhat bemused by the discussion of radiation exposures to those in proximity to patients treated with radionuclides. Since the doses received would  likely be well below regulatory exposure limits, I assume the concern stems from conformance with optimization guidance, or ALARA.(i.e. same logic as that behind the 4 mrem/year from nucwaste management) . In this regard, it should be noted that the K-40 content in all humans causes some radiation dose to those close to them. I recall a calculation indicating that a fraction of a millirem can  be received annually simply by sleeping in the same bed with one's spouse.

    Recalling the BRC deliberations a few years ago, it is clearly the sense of the US Congress, affirmed by the NRC and EPA that there is no de minimis level for radiation exposure (i.e. all radiation exposure must be considered harmful!). Accordingly, all radiation exposures resulting from proximity to other humans should not be ignored. Since the fraction of the population being treated with radioactivity , at any given time, is miniscule, the total collective dose (person-rem) to others is trivial compared to that received by the hundreds of millions of people in the general population who are continually exposed to other people.

    To minimize this problem, I suggest a law requiring all persons to stay at least 10 meters away from each other . Perhaps some may consider such legislation to be impractical, but where is it written that radiation control regulations must be practical?       Jerry Cohen