  From: james.g.barnes@att.net

  To: Ted Rockwell

  Cc: James Barnes ; radsafe@list.vanderbilt.edu ; Muckerheide-MA

  Sent: Monday, August 23, 2004 10:01 AM

  Subject: RE: Genetic Effects; Then and Now

    Which is another interesting point that I failed to mention.  The assumption was that there these mutation events were assumed to be ALWAYS detrimental.  The logic was "man is an advanced organism, and in an advanced organism, mutations must be assumed to be deleterious" (or words to that effect).

    Jim Barnes

    -------------- Original message from "Ted Rockwell" : --------------

    Jim:

    I think it's pretty well established that no increase in the normal level of birth defects has ever been shown in humans, but I don't know what the best references for that would be.  Jim Muckerheide: can you suggest some refs or offer any other thoughts?  There is also the point that every chromosomal effect is not necessarily a detriment.

    Ted Rockwell