Re: Genetic Effects; Then and Now

I am not sure if the statement is arrogance or a sign

of ignorance.  Biology is not like physics.  We do not

understand all of the laws of how things work.  Even

though the Darwinism theories are accepted, e.g.,

survivability of the fittest, etc., the devil is in

the detail.  Why do there appear to be spurts in the

fossil records?  Was it due to radiation (which I

doubt) or other environmental pressures and/or biotia.

 I would suspect there are probably may catalysts,

i.e., heat, light, chemical and radiation. See

http://kosmoi.com/Life/Biology/Evolution/

It is clear that our understanding of what goes on in

cells may not apply to larger, more organized

organisms.  One problem is what do you select as the

end-point.  If you have cells in culture and irradiate

them, changes may or may not appear during the

analysis of the DNA.  If effects are evident, are they

detrimental to the cell or progeny.  If you look for

apoptosis, do you see cells surviving because of cell

repair or DNA damage that was inconsequential?  The

ultimate biological effects come in shades of gray,

not black and white.

Regarding genetic effects in human, my understanding

is that not enough humans have recieved sufficient

doses to demonstate an effect.  (I think that is

good.)  See paragraph 6 at

http://www.unscear.org/pdffiles/reportga.pdf

The entire UNSCEAR report is at

http://www.unscear.org/reports/2001.html

--- Phil Rutherford <email@philrutherford.com> wrote:

> If what Jim says is true, the assumption that

> "mutations in advanced organisms must be

> detrimental" speaks volumes about the arrogance man.

>  Scientists at the end of the 19th century also

> believed that most "science" had been discovered and

> explained.  We know better now ..... but maybe not!

> I have always assumed (with no data to back it up)

> that the speed and diversity of Darwinian evolution

> on Earth, was fuelled by a universal catalyst .....

> radiation.  With no background radiation to ensure a

> sufficient pool of genetic mutations in each

> generation, surely evolution would have occurred at

> a much slower rate.

> Evolution is an ongoing process, and still being

> fuelled by the same catalyst.

> Phil Rutherford

> email@philrutherford.com

> www.philrutherford.com

=====

"Everyone is ignorant, only on different subjects."

Will Rogers

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist