Radiation Effects"Then" (1959) in ACR Movie

Recent posts regarding radiation effects "now and then" reminded me of a 45

minute movie sponsored by the American College of Radiology in 1959 and

moderated by Dr. Richard H. Chamberlain, then chairman of the Department of

Radiology at the University of PA.  As Dr. Chamberlain states in the 16 mm  cine,

the movie presents the "substance of what is known about the biological  effects

of x rays" (at that time).  The movie, entitled "Radiation:  Physician and

Patient" was intended for physicians  (non-radiologists) to help educate them in

the safe use of  X rays in  medical applications and was shown for the first

time during the 1959 AMA  Meeting in Atlantic City. Although the information

is hopelessly out of date  and naive by today's standards, it is of historical

interest because of  the appearances of and presentations by experts of the

time including  Raymond Zirkle, Austin Brues, Shields Warren, Lianne & William

Russell, H.J.  Mueller, Lauriston Taylor, Edith Quimby and various clinicians

at the University  of PA.  All have passed on except for Taylor who is living

at  102.  (I played a very minor role by operating a geiger counter detecting

background radiation). As far as I know, I had the only surviving copy of the

45  year old film which I turned over to the archives of the Radiation

Oncology  Department at UofP in 2002.  I did make videotaped copies for the  archives

of the AAPM and ASTRO.  If anyone is interested in a DVD  copy, please

contact me OFF LIST.

Robert O. Gorson

3729 Greenbriar Drive

Columbia, SC, 29206