Re: Medical radiation workers see reduction in cancer risk

For the comments on the original announcement, it is

clear that the article needs to be read.  It is not in

this month's issue (September 2004) of Radiology.

--- garyi@trinityphysics.com wrote:

> I found it humerous that the pre-1950 elevated SMR

> is automatically assumed to be a

> radiation effect, while the post 1950 SMR<1 must be

> something else.

> Also, if the post 1950 SMR<1 is valid, then what

> justification is there for any dose limit

> less than 5 cSv/yr, or ALARA?  If it ain't broke,

> then why are we trying to fix it?

> Gary Isenhower

> > Second, lower exposure levels were recorded after

> > 1957, when the International Commission on

> > Radiological Protection (ICRP) reduced the

> suggested

> > dose limit to 0.05 Sv per year. In 1990, the

> > commission revamped that policy to an occupational

> > dose limit of an average of 0.02 Sv per year, over

> > five years, and not to exceed an annual dose of

> 0.05

> > Sv in a single year.

> > After 1950, the SMR for all types of cancer was

> less

> > than 1. In addition to better dose parameters, a

> trend

> > known as the "healthy-worker effect" may have

> > contributed to the reduction as these

> professionals

> > tend to lead healthier lifestyles and have better

> > access to medical care, the authors stated.

> > "We found no clear evidence of cancer risk in any

> of

> > the latest subcohorts of radiologists or

> > technologists," the group concluded. "While safe

> > radiation practices currently are an assumed part

> of

> > medical radiation work ... it is important to

> continue

> > follow-up."

> Majordomo@list.vanderbilt.edu  Put the

> text "unsubscribe radsafe" (no quote marks) in the

> body of the e-mail,

> with no subject line. You can view the Radsafe

> archives at

> http://www.vanderbilt.edu/radsafe/

=====

"A devotee of Truth may not do anything in deference to convention.  He must always hold himself open to correction, and whenever he discovers himself to be wrong he must confess it at all costs and atone for it."

Monhandas K. Gandhi, in "Autobiography"

-- John

John Jacobus, MS

Certified Health Physicist