Date:    Mon, 27 Sep 2004 12:58:53 -0400

From:    Bruce Taylor <

Subject: X-ray article

TRAVEL

'Backscatter' X-Rays Enter the Picture

By AMY SCHAN

The government plans to soon begin testing a new

Security technology that could give airport screeners

detailed images of a passenger's body through his or

her clothing.

The Transportation Security Administration will launch

a pilot program in several airports of "backscatter"

X-ray machines, which use low radiation X-rays to

produce a black and white image that clearly shows the

person's body and any metal, plastic or organic

materials, such as marijuana, hidden beneath clothing,

The airports in the pilot project will be named in the

near future.

The agency said the machines to be used will be

modified to produce less explicit images and protect

passengers' privacy, "We are aggressively pursuing

continued development of backscatter technology,

Obviously, one of the major issues is the privacy of

passengers," said TSA spokeswoman Yolanda Clark.

One way is to adjust the machines to produce fuzzy

images; A less popular option is placing the screener

in an enclosed booth so others couldn't see the

graphic images of passengers.

TSA officials have long expressed interest in the

technology, but have so far failed to adopt it for

widespread testing or use in airports because of

significant privacy issues. There is also concern many

airports don't have enough space to host the giant

machines, but recent terrorist attacks that brought

down two Russian passenger jets have raised concerns

domestically about checking passengers more carefully

for possible explosives.  TSA now requires passengers

remove jackets and can conduct full body pat-downs to

detect explosives.

"The biggest gap is a lack of technology to detect

explosives and weapons," said Rep, John Mica IR..

Fla.), chairman of the House aviation subcommittee.

"Only backscatter [technology] is going to provide you

with the most accurate detection of both weapons and

explosives. Period."

Privacy advocates say even with modifications the

technology can be uncomfortably revealing for many

people and would allow security screeners to find

objects that aren't related to airport security, such

as illegal drugs.

"It's like an electronic strip search,"_ said Barry

Steinhardt, director of the American Civil Liberties

Union's technology and liberty program, "You certainly

have to worry about the possibility of voyeurism with

these machines."

TSA's interest in using backscatter X-ray technology

received a boost yesterday, when the Department of

Homeland Security's inspector general recommended its

adoption as part of a report critical of airport

screener performance.

Covert testing by Homeland Security investigators from

July 2003 through November 2003 at 15 airports

revealed that screeners' ability to detect

weapons hasn't improved since the government assumed

responsibility for screening from the airlines and

that screener performance was poor.

"It was easier to get guns, knives and improvised

bombs on planes than it should have been," said

Homeland Security Inspector General Clark Kent

Ervin. Details of how poorly screeners performed in

the undercover tests weren't released, Similar tests

by congressional investigators released earlier this

year also found lapses. TSA officials say security and

screener performance has improved significantly since

the tests were completed last year.